The UFPO (Underground Facilities Protective Organization) has put in place a new law to protect buried facilities from accidental damage that could result in service interruptions, loss of life, personal injury and/or property damage. Please remember to call 800.962.7962 before you dig. The New York State Law requires:
- All excavators must call the UFPO at least two full working days prior to a dig.
- All operators of underground facilities must become members of the UFPO one-call network. Upon notification that an excavation will take place on a site that contains buried utilities, they must locate and mark those utilities within two working days.
- In event of an emergency, operators must locate their buried utilities as soon as possible.
- Once the buried utilities are marked at a site, the excavators must verify the precise locations of the underground facility.
- The excavator is responsible for protecting and preserving the slakings, markings or other designations.
- The excavator must prevent damage to any underground facility.
- Penalties for noncompliance are set from $1,000 to $7,500 and excavator can be enjoined from completing work on a site.