Providing continuous service to Champlain, Mooers, Mooers Forks, Rouses Point and Altona, New York since 1903.
The Champlain Telephone Company (CTC) is a regulated telecommunications company providing residential and commercial services to Champlain, Mooers, Mooers Forks, Rouses Point, and Altona.
CTC was founded September 24, 1903. The principals of the company at that time were Mr. Maurice Knapp, Mr. Orin Southwick and Mr. A.B. Spellman. Today, CTC remains a family business with third and fourth generation family members actively involved with the company.
CTC has built and maintained its entire local communications network. Originally, CTC strung all its own wire on poles, which were bought and milled in the local area.
- 1920’s Party Lines – some up to 18 on a line
- 1950’s Automated switching with a dial tone
- June 1955: 1,200 rural customers have the ability to dial their own calls
- 1960’s Direct distance dialing
- 1980’s Conversion from electrical-mechanical system to fully automated system
- New features introduced e.g. speed dialing, call forwarding, call waiting party conference calls
- 1990’s Dial-up Internet Service
- 1991, CTC became the first small, independent telephone company in New York with a 100 percent fiber optic “backbone”.
- 2001 DSL product introduced
Customers and Lines
|December 31, 1911||December 31, 2006|
|Total number of lines||555||5,798|
|1907||Basically a two-man operation|